1) Does Zhilam Hostel organize treks?

As a business, we do not organize treks.  But we want to help you have the best time ever, so we are very happy to introduce you to those who do.  We also rent outdoor gear.

Zhilam’s Outdoor Gear Rentals

Gongga Trekking Map

Here are some of our suggestions for trekking companies:

High end tours and treks can be organized by Extravagant Yak.  They can help organize and customize your tour not only in the Kangding/Ganzi area, Yala and Gonga mountains, but all over Tibetan areas.

Minyak Gongga Tours

“Patru” is one of our most trusted employees and friend.  He would like to start his own trekking business and we are going to help him start.  Please see this link for more information.

Chyoger Treks

Run by and through www.definnditelynomadic.com specialize in all inclusive treks in and around Tagong and Yala Mountain


2) Can we do a trek on our own?

Many people do trek on their own.  You should be well trained and skilled in the outdoors.  There are many difficult high passes, treacherous paths, and not to mention wild yetis out there.  Most importantly do not trek on your own (one person)…that’s how people die.  With that said, here is some information we have put together for those of you interested in trekking Gongga area.   Please don’t let this information prevent you from visiting us at Zhilam Hostel for the most up-to-date information and of course a hot cup of coffee.


3) Does a person need special permits to climb in Sichuan?

Climbing permits can be organized through the Sichuan Mountaineering Association. These permits are for those planning to summit peaks (not standard treks).

New Prices for Climbing Registration as of January 1, 2011:

Every climbing group must have a Liaison Officer whose daily wage is Rmb 680/day. The Assistant Liaison Officer’s daily wage is Rmb 580/day (if deemed needed). The interpreter’s wage is Rmb 580/day (if needed). The cook’s wage is Rmb 480/day (if needed). If a “high altitude assistant” is needed, the wage is Rmb 880/day. Cost of food for each of these Chinese employees is Rmb 120/day.

Zhilam Hostel is, time willing, able to apply for permission for you to climb mountains in our area. We will charge a small service fee for our time and effort. However, this will save you spending extra days (sometimes up to twenty days) in Chengdu applying for permission to climb).

6 Responses to Trekking Info

  1. Isabell:

    Hello there,

    My friend and I are thinking of trekking the Minyak Gangkar loop in July. We know that it rains the most during this period and may not have a clear view of the mountains all the time. Is it only light rain for short periods or does it rain the whole day? And how is the temperature like in the day and night?

    We definitely do not mind a little rain, but if it is going to rain rather consistently with no good views of the mountains, then we will think twice on making this trip. Thanks in advance for the advice!


  2. Macciza:

    Thanks for the info.
    Any idea if prices are still current for 2014/15?
    And whether ther is any charge for Lowe altitude rock and ice climbing?
    Thanks, and will drop in if I end up nearby when I head over there myself…
    Cheers MM

  3. Ng Li Fei:

    Is there a tour that you all can help arrange that stay a night at Li Tang before heading to Dao Cheng? Hope to hear from you all soon.

  4. krubesh:

    I’m sorry, we don’t arrange tours as we are not insured for that. However, spending a night in Litang is very, very easy. Just get the bus from Kangding to Litang. Then buy a ticket from Litang to Daocheng.

  5. Nick:

    I am planning a 2 week trip and wish to do the Gongga Shan / Minya Konka Trek. Either April or last week of June and first week of July. Is it too wet in the Jun/July period for decent views of the mountain?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.